What is dbDOS™ PRO 4?
dbDOS™ PRO 4 is the next generation of the standard single user engine for previous dbDOS™ applications. The new dbDOS™ VM (engine) now features a live file system and is over 38% faster than the previous release. dbDOS™ PRO 4 includes support for both 32 and 64-bit versions of the currently supported Microsoft operating systems. The new version is as simple to use as the prior editions, just backup your existing software, install dbDOS™ PRO 4 and run. It is that simple!
What is dbDOS™ PRO 4N?
dbDOS™ PRO 4N builds on all the great features of dbDOS™ PRO 4 and adds multi-user networking support. Just install dbDOS™ PRO 4N on all the computers that you want to run the multi-user applications and go!
What does dbDOS™ PRO 4/4N support?
dbDOS™ PRO 4/4N is specifically engineered to work best with dBASE CLASSIC™, the re-bundled version of the last release of the world class version of dBASE V for MS-DOS. However, dbDOS™ PRO 4 works well with dBASE™ III+, dBASE™ IV (Version(s) 1, 2, 3), and as stated before dBASE™ V for MSDOS. dbDOS™ PRO 4 will work with any of the older MS-DOS based programs. We have customers using Lotus 1, 2, 3, Word Perfect 5.1, FoxPro, and many other classic applications. dbDOS™ PRO 4 is the easiest way to keep your mission critical MS-DOS based applications up and running for years to come
How does dbDOS™ PRO 4 work?
Features of dbDOS™ PRO 4
- (New) Look & Feel - Modern feel with cleaner and more concise graphics to increase the ease of use!
The new flat graphics are easier to see and process.
- (New) Networking support for multi-user dBASE™ applications.
This now allows for multi-user network dBASE™ applications to work as they did back in the MS-DOS days. The following is an example of an application in Network mode; one instance is in edit mode on a record and the other is trying to edit at the same time. The program reports an error to the second user because the first user has the records locked.
- (New) Native file system for the dbDOS™ VM
The underlying file system used by the dbDOS™ VM is brand new and offers significant improvements. The new dbDOS™ VM engine increases the speed by as much as 38%.
- (New) Live file system that allows for files to be updated outside of the dbDOS™ VM.
A live file system means that files are automatically updated in the VM even when a file is modified outside the VM’s protected area. This allows the dbDOS™ environment to access updates to the windows file system in real time. You can edit your .PRG files in a Windows editor and immediately execute in dbDO™S or monitor the Windows file system for a file update and then import that data into dBASE™ database with a dBASE™ application running in dbDOS™ automatically.
- (New) 4DOS Shell - Enables standard DOS shell commands and batch files.
4DOS provides most all of the shell commands and batch file operation available in MS-DOS.
- (Improved) Enhanced memory support when using the DOS Shell gives non-dBASE programs a performance boost.
- (Improved) Print to PDF - Fixes some of the small limitations found in prior dbDOS™ versions that supported PDF output.
- (Improved) Display for resolutions above 800x600 are 100% sharper and easier to read.
- Support for PDF output - print to paper, PDF file, or to both at the same time!
- “Enhanced” printing that now gets you closer output of those reports than ever before
- “Direct” printing that handles more code and sequences making print easier when RAW, Interpreted, and Enhanced can get it right
- Print driver that will allow better print across new printer! This does require a code change!
- Easy DOS Configuration Wizard simplifies the launching of a single dBASE™ program
- Exit from any dBASE™ program to the DOS command prompt
- Better backup system makes it easier to find the configuration you are looking for
- Cut/Paste from dbDOS™ VM to the Windows OS and back
- Print or save screen functionality, works like the old DOS Print Screen
- Memory Management System reduces the hardware conflicts and increases speed
- dbDOS™ Config utility to create, update, and manage dbDOS™ configurations
- Easy to use wizard based interface supports importing and exporting of multiple environment configurations
- No modifications to dBASE™ or any other applications you want to use is required
- Very small footprint, under 10 megabytes of storage needed for the program
- Ability to print ESC and Printer specific codes to the host OS's printers (either networked or connected)
- Revive existing applications instead of rewriting them